Being a good session musician requires preparation. You need to be prepared for every recording session and gig you do. You might even run into situations where you need to improvise. Here are some helpful tips to become a good session musician. You must have reliable gear and a great website. A biography is also essential. Your playing ability should be showcased through videos and audio recordings.
– Know the genres. Sessions require you to know all the genres and styles. You should be able to read and understand tricky time signatures. You should also be able to play on time, as you may be asked to play behind the beat. Learn how to adapt and change to different situations. Listed below are some useful tips to become a good session musician.
– Don’t be shy about your talent. Don’t be afraid to decline sessions that are not in your wheelhouse. Be open-minded and honest. Those who are upfront and honest with themselves will win more respect. Moreover, keep in mind that sessions can be fast-paced and you need to focus on requests. The best thing to do is to write down requests and make note of them.
– Play multiple styles. A good session musician should be able to play various types of music, including jazz, rock, pop, and country. It is also a good idea to specialize in a particular style or genre. This will help build your reputation as an expert and a go-to guy or girl. Lastly, play tight and fast. In a session, things move quickly and you need to be attentive to what the client wants.
– Become a professional. A good session musician must be well-prepared and have strong interpersonal skills. A professional musician must be prepared to arrive early for the sessions. He or she must be courteous. Turn off mobile phones and be polite to the producer. Never overplay a song or overplay. Be ready to be flexible. During a session, you will need to be able to lock into a groove. Join online music production platforms like Tunedly to stay in the loop.
– Become familiar with the genres. If you don’t know the music, you can’t play it. But if you know a certain genre, you can play it well. It’s important to have an in-depth knowledge of different genres, as this will help you land more jobs. You must also be professional. A good session musician is a good listener and has excellent interpersonal skills.